Using Breath, Bandhas & Alignment to create safer, more comfortable backbends
Sunday 24th January, 2021
10.00am to 1.00pm
Bending backwards in Yoga Classes can sometimes be a source of anxiety. Most people at some point in their lives will suffer from some form of back pain. Beginners coming to yoga may find that the habitual posture of hunching forwards, combined with a lack of spinal mobility, make backbends difficult. Add to this the images that we see of extreme backbends that can either inspire or demoralise us.
This Masterclass is designed to look at safe, gentle, supportive techniques that we can apply to our backbending postures. These techniques will stabilise and strengthen our backbends, whilst also reducing the potential for pain or injury. During this 2.5 hour workshop, we will be exploring:-
- Spinal oscillations – how our spine moves through the breath cycle
- Breath support – how we can apply this knowledge to support our backbends
- Bandha support – using Moola, Uddiyana and Jalandhara to support backbends from the inside
- Pelvic alignment – where the pelvis sits will inform our experience of backbends
- Correct spinal extention – how to spread the extention through the entire spine
- Rising from the root
- The role of the hyoid bone
- The need for core strength
Whilst this exploration will guide you through some inspiring techniques to deepen your practice and teaching of backbends, it isn’t specifically aimed at the more advanced backbends such as Urdhva Dhanurasana (wheel).
This Masterclass will give you 2.5 CPD points, and a certificate will be issued if required.
Date : Sunday 24th January, 2021
Time : 10.00am – 12.30pm
Venue : Online using Zoom
Cost : £25
Includes comprehensive PDF notes
breathe. smile. love.